Monday, June 15, 2009

Summer reading is here again (saying that with a little skip). I read some pretty dark books this winter like Cormac McCarthy's The Road and I'm in need of a fun summer surprise.


I'm a little nervous about topping last summer. First of all there was the entire Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer . You couldn't ask for more entertaining poolside books. The best was when there were 4 moms and a few teenagers sitting around Grant pool last August all with hardcover Breaking Dawn in their laps. I also enjoyed Stephanie Meyer's adult book Host with her creative stories about life on other planets through the eyes of the Host.


Early last summer I also read the fantasy world of Libba Bray's Gemma Doyle series.


Ohhh... then there was Scott Westerfield's Uglies sci-fi series where everyone gets turned into supermodel pretty at the age of 16 and how it begins to fall apart. You really can't put it down. So good there are spin offs. A whole new language waiting to be discovered.


To top off the summer of young adult fiction there was Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. The second of 3 comes out this September and I almost wished I hadn't discovered the series until they were finished. How she can take such graphic themes and spin them for young adults was/is mind boggling. Looking forward to reading the books again in a few years with Bryn and Hunter.

After last summer I almost needed young adult fiction therapy. The staff at our local children's bookstore knows me by name now.

Desperately, trying to find my groove this summer. Trying out Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. How boring is this cover? I love creative covers and knowing that the publisher, author, editor and all considered the creativity of a book is important to me. Boring.

Did not like Sarah Water's A Little Stranger. The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls tops my summer list. Looking for a few good summer suggestions.

1 comment:

Colleen said...

Greg recommends Blood Music and Chindi. I don't remember either author's name.

As for me, I'm still waiting to be jazzed by something, too.