Thursday, November 1, 2007

Book Talk

I don't belong to a book club mainly because I like to read what I want and I don't want to feel guilty if I don't have time to finish the book. However, sometimes I need to talk about a book whether to rant or rave. That's when I become a nag and push family and friends to read the book I just finished. I have to talk about it with someone!

I'm very good at remembering plot lines and how I felt about a book but I am terrible at remembering book titles and authors. I've tried several times to keep a book diary but I usually end up misplacing it or forget to add books and then too much time goes by.

Here's a quick review of two books I've recently read for permanent record.


I'm only 7 years behind with this one but sometimes I like to be cool by not being cool. What was the hype about 7 years ago? It's a time skipping book with a mystery that I guess is suppose to leave you intrigued throughout the whole book. There are many more time piece books that are much more creative and with stronger characters.

Author Ingenuity:


Plot:


Ending:


What I'll remember 5 years from now:

That a woman with few options make some quirky decisions that didn't make sense to me.


My first question is what kind of mind thinks up this story? I think it's the first book I've ever read where the main character is creepy even from the beginning (birth) and there is never any redeeming moment. I would be 50/50 on recommending because it's a twisted story but definitely intriguing. They made a Perfume movie based on the book which is currently in my netflix queue. I have to know how they turned this into a movie.

Author Ingenuity:


Plot:


Ending:

This time 5-stars does not mean that is was a good ending just a jaw dropping shocking ending.

What I'll remember 5 years from now:
A creepy guy with a great sense of smell that is patient and persistent that ends up getting everything he wants. All in a Silence of the Lambs kind of way.

Books currently on my nightstand:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love your reviews :)

I'm a big reader too, and I belong to a book club. But if I don't like the book, I don't finish reading it. No guilt allowed :)

Also I read what I want, when I want. I knew someone was going to pick A Thousand Splendid Suns for November's read, but my sister gave me her copy in Oct. Of course I couldn't wait till November to read it. So I didn't :)

I am responsible for December's book. Any recommendations for books you absolutely loved?